Sample Mailing Instructions
Typically, evaluations are completed in one to three business days. Please contact us prior to shipping samples if special circumstances exist or an expedited schedule is required.
Note: Polysaccharaide tests are ran one time per week so turnaround times may be longer.
- For activated sludge and most other systems, a 50 mL MLSS sample is needed. This should be collected from the end of the aeration process (generally the end of the aeration basin or feed to clarifier(s)) placed in a plastic, screw-capped bottle filled no more than ½ full (for air) with the lid taped.
- Overnight delivery is preferred.
- Please include an email address for the report to be sent to and billing information (name, phone number, and address of facility, email/person (s) to send invoice to).
If any foam is present on the aeration basin or final clarifier, this can be collected in a separate container (50 mLs is plenty) and analyzed at no additional charge.
If the system has multiple basins/trains each should be analyzed individually (do not mix into one sample). For lagoon systems, the effluent end of each cell is analyzed. Algae identification and counting is included in analysis. Lagoon samples should be collected in a well-mixed area (sample ports between each lagoon are ideal). 1000 mL is needed for each sample container because settling of sample is needed prior to evaluation.
MAIL ALL SAMPLES TO:
Attention: Microscopic Evaluation
101 Garfield Avenue
Menasha WI, 54952
Please do not send coolers – we do not return them due to high volume of samples that come in.
Chain of Custody/Request for Services Form
Clients are encouraged to download this form, print it and enclose with sample for description of desired services, tests, etc.
Microbiology Services & Pricing
Testing Services / Rates
Microscopic Evaluation Report (includes foam analysis) / $300
Microscopic Report + Genetic Report / $600
Anaerobic Micro + Genetic Report / $450
Anthrone/Polysaccharide Test / $250
- Standard DNA result turn-around time is 2-3 weeks. Results can be expedited for a 1-4 day expected lead time for $300.
- Our lab accepts samples Monday-Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Arrangements can be made for urgent after hours or weekend testing for an additional $150 fee. Please contact us for availability and an alternate shipping address.
- Now Available: A Micro-Trak app will be available for trending and comparing time series graphs of filament types and their rank/abundance versus process control data and other variables. This will be available to all MCO clients upon request with no additional fees or charges.
Additional Testing and Services / Rates
Additional Basin/Sample Point for Microscopic Evaluation / $50
Additional Basin/Digester/Sample Point for Genetic Testing / $300
Onsite Microscopy Training or Troubleshooting / $2,000/day + travel expenses (lump sum)
Customized Microbiology Poster / $75 (including shipping)
Nitrification Study (Basic) / $300 (Call for Details)
Toxicity/Inhibition Study (Advanced) / $750 (Call for Details)
Microbiology and Operations Specialist at Midwest Contract Operations
Phone: (920) 573-2820
Email: [email protected]