- This event has passed.
2-Day Wastewater Microbiology Hands-on Seminar
August 4 - August 5$750
Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
2740 W Mason St
Green Bay, WI 54307
NWTC entrance 16 (Environmental Engineering Building) classroom/lab AG213
- Dates: August 4 – 5, 2020
- Instructors: Dr. David Jenkins, Ryan Hennessy
- CEUs: 14 hours
- Price: $750 per attendee
Day 1 Agenda
- 8:00AM – 10:00AM: Activated Sludge Microbiology Lecture (David Jenkins)
- 10:00AM – 10:15AM: Break
- 10:15AM – 12:00PM: Activated Sludge Microbiology Lecture (Ryan Hennessy)
- 12:00PM – 12:30 PM: Lunch
- 12:30PM – 1:30PM: The phase contrast microscope; Sample preparation; Staining techniques/Hands on viewing of samples at low power magnification (emphasis on floc structure, higher life form organisms, dispersed growth, filament abundance)
- 1:30PM – 1:45PM: Break
- 1:45PM – 4:00PM: Microscopic examination of activated sludge samples/ Introduction to filamentous organism ID
- 4:00PM – 4:15PM: Questions/Wrap Up
Day 2 Agenda
- 8:00AM – 4:00PM: Microscopic examination of activated sludge samples/ filament ID. Samples will be provided for the majority of the commonly occurring filaments and other indicator organisms, activated sludge characteristics. Presentation of case histories by participants with discussion of possible remedial measures by instructors.
- Breaks: Taken as needed
- Lunch: 12:30PM to 1:00PM*Participants encouraged to send a mixed liquor sample (and a foam sample, if present) from their plant for evaluation (free of cost) within 2 weeks prior to class. Findings can be discussed in class publicly with class discussion or privately with instructors. Samples will be saved for use in class. Contact [email protected] for sample shipping information.